Welcome!

Welcome badminton fans, to the Jump Smash Badminton Blog - your source of quality badminton articles and latest news! Enjoy! :)




P.S. Dont forget to book mark this blog! ;)

Tuesday 11 August 2009

Yehlex Birmingham Badminton Bonanza 2009

http://tourist.britzone.org/National%20Indoor%20Arena.jpg

The Yehlex Birmingham Badminton Bonanza was held in the National Indoor Arena on the 8th and 9th of August. The National Indoor Arena is a massive venue, which hosts the annual prestigous event, the All-England Open since 1994. There were 28 courts set up for matches, with 1 court occupied by Yehlex coach Lee Jae Bok to provide some free coaching drills and tips. As a player Lee won three Korean National Titles between 1979 and 1981, he has a wealth of coaching experience including, Korean Nation Team (1986 -1987), British Olympic Team (1990-92), English National Team (1990-92), English National Team Coaching Adviser (1993) and England team men's singles coach (2005-2007). Lee has also delivered many keynote speeches at several World and European coaching conferences over the past 20 years.

A smashing competition was held on an adjacent court, each participant was fed 3 shuttles and tried to smash the shuttle as fast as they could over the net. A machine was used to measure the speed of the smash, but to be honest, it wasn't too accurate if you ask me. The winning smash speed was 137mph - still quite a bit off of the fastest recorded smash of 206mph by China's Fu Haifeng.

The playing surface wasn't ideal for badminton. Concrete certainly isn't the most ideal surface to be diving on! Initially, things weren't going great for me. In a group game, I was playing a backhand block, then as I put my racquet in front of me to play a net shot, I saw this:



Certainly shocking to say the least, as I didn't hear any sort of clashing. Luckily, I bring a few racquets with me and I continued the match with my trusty Armortec 900 Technique. But in the final match, the strings snapped. Great. I was left to endure the final match with my admittedly very under-used Armortec 250, which has probably been collecting dust for the past year. Playing with factory strings isn't favourbale either. However I managed to scrape the game 21-18 and collected a little glass cube, which was to be my prize.





Meanwhile, Sam 'The Muel' McKune smashed his way into the finals, where he unluckily lost 21-20. Apparently, in the last point of the game, the shuttle was going out but he hit it. Clever ^_^. Anyways here are some pics of Sam McKyoone in action:








Hopefully next time I will remember to ask the photographer to take photos of ME. =]

Pictures are only used for reference purposes. No copyright infringement intended, all rights go to owners. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment